Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I found out today that I passed my NVQ Level 2 in Sign Language... It's somthing I've been trying to get for 4 years and finally managed. Only another 2 years and I 'll be a fully certified interpreter. I'm not sure if I knew how long it would take at the start that I would have quite so happily commited myself. Adoption is a bit like that, at first you spend hours pondering the date game which goes something along the lines of...

"Right I'll get my dossier done in 2 weeks, 1 week with lawyer, 1 week for posting, 2 weeks for travel, ohhh maybe 3 months for referal, 1 month for court date then almost home - wow"

You convince yourself that no matter what you read, it'll be different for you and it'll all happen in 4-6 months, lovely. In reality it never happens that quick but you adapt, next time you dream it starts off with "Right, I'll get my dossier done in 2 months...." However if at the start of the process, if someone had said to me you'll be 18months down the line and still just waiting with no end in sight I may have been disheartened, disillusioned or just put off altogether!

So frankly I say raise a glass to optimism and adaptability. Optimism gets us to sign up in the first place and adaptability allows up to keep positive and to wildly celebrate the occasional time when things actually happen quicker than normal, when a bill comes in and it's marginally cheaper than ultimately expected, in short when life throws you a bone.

And at the end of the day, I will have my daughter and I may be a sign language interpreter but until then "I'll get my dossier done in 4 months...."

No comments: